Do you sometimes fancy dessert but want something that’s refreshing or light? Well I am so excited to share this recipe post with you honestly this biscuit base is to die for, light, melt in the mouth, crumbly mmmmmm so tasty and it’s gluten free. Initially this blog post was going to be purely about these biscuits, but as ?usual when the creative mind gets thinking there’s no stopping so here we go this is what Free From Fridays brings to you this week. A gorgeous combination of plump but crisp raspberries and citrus orange enclosed in a creamy but light sweetened ?mascaporne cheese followed by a sweet, crumbly and delicate butter biscuit base,ooooh it tastes divine and you’ll be having more than just one. No wheat biscuit base? Seriously ?you cannot notice that these biscuits are gluten free, wouldn’t you say that’s an added bonus? So if you are gluten intolerant or just fancy a change then these will make perfect mini desserts. Why not bake these biscuits in advance as they store well for up to a month in an airtight container.
Mini Raspberry and Orange Cheesecakes- Gluten Free, Soya Free, Egg free.
Makes: 20 biscuits
Makes 12 mini cheesecakes
Preparation: 35-40 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
For the biscuit base:
155g Salted Butter softened
80g Caster sugar
155g Gluten free plain flour I used Doves Farm
75g Rice Flour- plus extra for dusting
1/2 Tsp Vanilla extract
For cheesecake topping
500g Mascaporne Cheese- I used 30 % less fat Mascaporne
6 Tbsp Icing sugar
1 Tsp Orange Extract
Zest of one orange
Ground cardamom for garnish
1. To make the biscuit dough, in a food processor using a flat blade cream butter and sugar, add in flours and vanilla extract and pulse into a rough dough.
2. Transfer onto a work top and knead lightly into a smooth dough. Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes. This step is very important as you need the dough to be of rolling consistency.
3. Heat the oven to 170 degree C or 150 degree for fan assisted. Take two large pieces of baking paper, place one piece on the work top.
4. Place the cold dough onto one piece of the paper, lightly dust with rice flour, place the second piece on top and roll out the dough to about 1cm thickness.
5. Using a fluted round cutter, cut out your biscuits and place them on a non stick baking tray.
6. Bake the biscuits for 15-20 minutes, the biscuits should not brown but remain light in colour.
7.Remove trays from the oven and allow biscuits to cool on the tray before transferring onto wire rack. Be very careful when lifting the biscuits as they are very delicate. I used a spatula to transfer them.
8. For the cheesecake topping, whip mascaporne cheese,sugar and orange extract until creamy and fluffy.
9. Prepare a large piping bag with open star nozzle, fill the bag and pipe onto each biscuit base.
10.Top with raspberries and orange zest and sprinkle with cardamom.